Realistic cost expectations for used 300mm 2.8 VR1?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hawk93x New Member • Posts: 4
Realistic cost expectations for used 300mm 2.8 VR1?

Hi, Friends.  I'm wrestling with the thought of adding a 300mm 2.8 VR1 to my lens collection now that I have a D500.  My main interests are nature and sports.

I have a 70-200mm 2.8 VR1 for shooting indoor sports like track and gymnastics.  I also have a 200-500mm for outdoor use, which has performed great for nature and decently for sports.  Of course, always in the hunt for "better," I have my eye on the 300mm because I could use it indoor or outdoor in a variety of lighting conditions to get closer and faster.  (I'd sell my 200-500 to do this.)

It's an expensive piece of glass, though!  So I guess I have two questions:

1. I see prices all over the place for this lens.  I have a bead on a good one for $2750.  Considering this is a hefty investment and I want to be responsible, is this a price to jump on, or is it better to wait patiently?  That is, do these lenses show up in great condition in the 2400-2500 range?

2. Am I crazy for thinking about this trade?!

Thanks for humoring me and my analysis paralysis.

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow