Fuji GFX focus bracketing points the way for Sony?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 21,731
Fuji GFX focus bracketing points the way for Sony?

With the new release of the GFX firmware, 3.0, Fuji introduced a feature that they call focus bracketing. I just tested it, and it's quite a nice implementation and should be immensely useful in stacking, and passably so in actual bracketing situations.

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/gfx-fw-3-0-focus-bracketing-with-the-120-4-macro/

Nikon has a similar feature on the D850, which they call Focus Shift Shooting.

I would be pleased if Sony offered something like this in a new firmware release for the a7RIII, a7III, a9, and possibly earlier cameras. I can't think of anything that should make it impractical, although there may be some wrinkle in the way that the E-mount lenses are designed that is different than the G-mount lenses on the GFX.

Sony has the excellent 90/2.8 macro which would get more useful with this feature.

I can't think of any reason for Sony not to do it other than their seeming aversion to adding features as part of FW updates.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Nikon D850 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow