Do DXO Lens tests bear out?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ab Latchin Contributing Member • Posts: 666
Do DXO Lens tests bear out?

In my other thread DXO was used to demonstrate the performance of a FF lens on a high resolution in comparison to one of the Olympus pro lenses.

I have been lucky enough over the years to own all the formats and almost all of the brands. So my decision to stick with m43rds is an informed one. So when I see astronomical advantages on DXO with similar MP bodies having huge resolution advantages my alarm bells go off.

Having just had the Canon 5Dm4 plus 50mm f1.2 to shoot with I took a few comparison pictures against the EM1.2 and 25mm f1.2. Wide open the 25mm f1.2 was clearly sharper than the 50mm f1.2, which is expected, considering the age and design of the older Canon lens. Stopping down to 2.5 evens things out for the Canon lens, but then stopping down the Olympus also improves the resolving power.

Here is what DXO has to say:

So here is a crop of Charlie, focused on his eye. What do you think, Canon top, Olympus Bottom:

I am sure when Canon replaces the 50mm f1.2 it will be a big step up from the mark1, and it will cost considerably more, and be larger and heavier. I also understand DXO uses an averaging method for resolving power. The main issue being that we buy these to use wide open, in this case where this lens performs at its worst.

So, do you see a major advantage for the Canon lens as suggested by DXO?

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow