Nikkor AF 18 mm 1:2.8 D

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
rapick
rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,978
Nikkor AF 18 mm 1:2.8 D

Just sharing some user impressions, not a review.

I got mine about 10 years ago, at a bargain price form an e-bay auction. Tried at that time on my d200, and it didn't much sense on a DX body, where the same FOV (28 mm eq.) can be reached with any kit zoom...

For those who don't know, Nikon started manufacturing this lens in 1994, and production was terminated in 2006. Less than 8,000 units (a very small number!) were sold, and mine (from the serial No.) was one of the latest.

As all pro-grade lenses by Nikon before the digital eve it looks like a mechanical jewel: full metal body, the right friction and dampening on the focus ring, the large hood snaps on with a positive clic.

Yesterday we had unusually fine weather, and brought it to my favorite shooting location on river Adda, along with my revived D700.

The good:

100° FOV with corners looking like this:

1:1 top right corner detail

CA was there, but fully corrected in auto by LR5. I dare to say that it out-resolve the D700 12MP sensor.

More good:

Some vignetting? Yes, I didn't care to correct. And I like the D700 RAW colors as rendered by LR.

Now, the nasty:

Unfortunately, this is almost 'typical' whenever shooting with the sun not behind your shoulders.

Anybody else here using this lens? I'd like to read different opinions.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow