Twitchy Image Stablization on 24-105 mk I

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ericrayl New Member • Posts: 15
Twitchy Image Stablization on 24-105 mk I

I have a Canon 24-105 f4 L (mk I) that purchased used 2 years ago.  It seemed in great condition when I bought it and it still seems to be in great condition now.  Everything works perfect on it, except it occasionally gets a little "twitchy" with the Image Stabilization.  By twitchy I mean that the IS elements seem to be overcompensating and banging around more than usual or necessary when it's warming up or trying to stabilize the image.  This typically only lasts for a 2-5 seconds and then it's good for a little awhile.

It first started doing this about a year ago, but seems to be getting a little worse the more I use it.  The "twitchiness" now is occurring more often.  Instead of just twitching out when I first turn it on for the day's shoot, it is now doing it throughout the day.  I can't tell what triggers the IS elements to malfunction/overcompensate but it's starting to interfere with my work.  I am missing shots (or getting bad shots) because the IS is banging around in the middle of my shot.  I am a documentary filmmaker and I only shoot video.

Is this a common problem?  Is there something I can do to fix it?  Do I have to "send it in"?  If so, where do I send it too?  About how much do you think it will be to fix it?  And so on...

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow