Petapixel click bait garbage on "The Death Of DSLRs"

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,080
Petapixel click bait garbage on "The Death Of DSLRs"

Not even going to link the article as I'd be contributing to the problem even more than just speaking about it. But there's an article today in Petapixel that is basically the "greatest hits" of all the "DSLR is dying" fallacies. To save you the trouble of clicking and reading the link I'll just post and refute all the main points:

• DSLRs replaced film cameras (so by extension MILCs will replace DSLRs)- this trope would almost make sense, if, like the transition from digital to film, MILCs fundamentally changed the image quality, processing and storage of photographs. Outside of file names and formats the medium is exactly the same. I can't put my SD card in a film camera but I can use the same SD card in a DSLR and MILC.
  • OVFs are inherently disadvantaged to EVFs- depends on what metrics we are using. EVFs can enable higher frame rates by eliminating the mirror, enable overlaying more info over the image, and give you live exposure preview all the time. But EVFs will always consume energy, have some resolution limitation, and some level of lag (at least until they can get down to 2-20 nanoseconds, matching the time light passes through a lens and prism). Whether those disadvantages matter is up to the user but the author did not mention them at all.
  • Smartphones only negatively impact DSLRs and not MILCs- pretty obvious why this is flawed thinking.
  • DSLR market share is falling while MILC market share is rising- this is because the bottom of the market is falling out. People aren't buying 18-xx + 55-xxx kits from Costco and Walmart any more and those were DSLR bread and butter. Now the market seems to be comprised of enthusiasts and pros in the west, and entry level MILCs in the east. But people are still definitely buying and using DSLRs.
  • Canon is "brave" for potentially launching a FF MILC- the thinking here being that this will shake up the photojournalism world. Why, I don't know. Canon probably won't be able to make a silent or global shutter on its larger sensors any time soon, and most photojournalism is being done with.... smartphones.

He then repeats himself a few times proclaiming the inevitability of it all without any substantive arguments or proof. The whole thing is a real disaster.

Thing is- look at my gear list- I'm no MILC hater. I haven't had a DSLR since 2012. But the zealotry needs to cease. Folks like this almost make me embarrassed to be associated with MILCs. Let's commit to doing better in 2018.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Rokinon AF 50mm F1.4 FE +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
1cb
osv
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow