Long lens for OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Started Mar 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
Robert LO Regular Member • Posts: 226
Re: Long lens for OM-D E-M1 Mark II

elsier wrote:

Hi all, and I thank you for any advice in advance!
My current setup is a Nikon D750 paired with a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. I photograph birds and wildlife, but am not getting any younger and am tired of carrying all that weight (and I shoot hand-held). For years I've been waiting for mirrorless to catch up with dSLR in terms of AF and low light capabilites. And now, with the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, it apparently did. My doubt pertains to which lens will pair with it for the best results: Oly 40-150 f/2.8 with TC 1.4; Panny 100-300 or Panny 100-400? I know the Oly + TC and the 100-400 are heavier, but with either the camera + lens still weighs less than the Sigma 150-600 on its own, so that isn't a deal breaker. I'm focused on image quality and quick AF. Thanks.

Elsie,

I switched from D750 plus Sigma Sport 150-600 last December 26 (Boxing Day deal).  I was OK carrying the Sport by an extended foot and a large tripod strapped across my back.  I changed because of heart surgery and some medication causing the shakes.  However, the results were unexpected.

I went back to purchase the 300 f4 but had read about the Panny 100-400 and thought I should at least try it on my Oly EM1.2 first in the shop.  I was stunned and immediately realised that target acquisition with the 300 (looking through a straw) would be an issue (for me).  I certainly do not regret the Pany purchase.  I can carry it just using the Peak Design wrist strap on the Oly.  No tripod required.  Even better, I’m now off the hideous medication and the shakes have reduced considerably.  However, I would not go back to Nikon now.  The Panny is locked to my EM on every hike and always ready from 200-800mm equivalent.  My hit rate has improved considerably compared to the Nikon/ Sigma Pro.

Enjoy.

Bob

Robert LO's gear list:Robert LO's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow