M43 and professional end use. Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 7,337
M43 and professional end use.

Here is a little tale of how M43 can be used for professional use even at high ISO. I hope this little story is instructive in more ways than one, especially to the naysayers out there.

A couple of years ago I visited Palazzo Ducale in Manova/Mantua with my EM5 and a couple of 2.8 zooms. I am interested in photographing architecture. I obviously could not use a tripod. The pictures were for my own amusement and a post on my Blog. Good enough quality was my goal.

It is quite dark inside these old buildings so slow shutter speeds and high ISO were mostly necessary. IBIS is vital to me in these situations.

Recently I was contacted by a cultural organisation in Vienna who are organising an exhibition concerning mazes. They had found the picture of the ceiling maze that I posted on my blog and wanted to use it in as part of an exhibition. I sent them the picture explaining that it was taken without a tripod at high ISO as It was the only way I could get the shot. They wanted to print to A2.

Result; they were more than pleased with the JPEG I sent them denoised in DXO prime.
I did a Google image search to see how they found my picture “labirinto palazzo ducale mantova” out of curiosity.

It is easy to see why they contacted me, I think mine is the only successful composition in the results that came up. I did not look at the technical quality of the other search results.

It seems there are few pictures of this famous ceiling floating around on the internet.

Conclusion, if you have a well composed picture of something that has hardly been photographed by many others, M43 at high ISO is fine for professional use, effective IBIS allowed me to get the shot in the first place, it seems not many of the thousands of visitors to this palace every year have attempted to shoot this ceiling.

Another conclusion is that I do not need to carry a huge clunky FF around with me to get results that are professionally usable. I can now forget about Sony and all the FF rest.

I am sure there are other conclusions.

Here is a greatly reduced version of the picture.

Maze Palazzo Ducale Mantova

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow