Comparisons Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,068
Comparisons

One aspect of human nature is to always compare things. Is what I own as good as what I don't own? What have the Joneses bought that's better than what we have? And no where do comparisons seem to be more ardent than when it comes to photography equipment. For some it's an endless journey comparing one camera brand with another, always probing as to whether there's something better or if there's some shortfall in what they own.

I gave up on comparisons a long time ago, if ever I did have a great desire to compare what I own with what I don't own. The only time that I did any comparisons was when I decided to buy into a system for the first time, weighing up the pros and cons before making a final decision. After that, comparisons were meaningless, my focus (pun intended) was to make the most of what I'd acquired, never showing buyer's remorse. And I've never had buyer's remorse.

That doesn't mean I have no interest in technology development, far from it, as I like to know what's happening, but I don't allow the fact that I don't own that new technology to consume me. And when it comes to photography, many are consumed and I think that makes their lives sometimes miserable and drains the spirit to go out and take photographs and develop their skills. They pick up their camera and think, this is not as good as Brand X and it will limit what I can do so I won't bother.

Thus starts the search for the Holy Grail, which ultimately leads to an endless spiral of disenchantment, loss of confidence and misery.

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet” ― Helen Keller

I thought I'd just put it out there.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow