Leica SL w/flash

Started Mar 10, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tuxster
Tuxster Regular Member • Posts: 408
Leica SL w/flash

I purchased a SF40 flash to use with my Leica SL. I have been practicing this week to use it inside a venue later this week.

Now, I decided to change the default 24-90 lens for the Summilux 50mm. The 50mm w/flash is not too big a setup to walk around with and people will not be too freaked out by it.

My question, with camera in Manual, set the lens to f/2 and flash set to TTL I found I was blowing out the high lights in trial tests. Changed the flash to A, left the camera in M and things were a little better. But as you know mixing ambient and flash requires shutter speed changes, but the camera does not show a pre-view on the display but the meter number does change w/shutter speed to indicate correct exposure.

When I changed the camera to A, remember I have the summilux 50 on there and the flash to A, i am able to see a pre-view on the display for ambient lighting and the flash is a little more blended. The camera i think guesses the lens aperture, last photo I was at f/2 on lens and camera recorded f/1.7.

I have practiced a lot with MF and feel confident about leaving the AF lens at home this weekend but adding a flash to the mix is still a little confusing.

What is the best approach, i will be inside a fairly well lighted venue. I think i will take a pic of a gray card before starting to set wb. Most people I will be photographing will be normal folk dressed up so they will be posing.

So camera in M, flash in TTL or
camera in A, flash in A
camera in M, flash in M, fill flash set to probably 1/128 will be required

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Tuxster's gear list:Tuxster's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a1 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow