My SSD capacity is rapidly diminishing - where is it going?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,058
Re: Initial Findings

gkal wrote:

I have currently used a total of 186GB (38GB remaining). Program files (both) 28GB total, Users 33GB, and Windows 31GB (all excluding hidden files). All of my typical data (documents, photos, music etc., is/are on the other drive, so what is using the remaining 94GB?, or alternatively how can I improve the situation?

When I first got my computer I tranfered all my data files (pictures, music etc) on the D drive. But my C drive was getting filled and could not explain it, I soon realized that my desktop was filled with files that were left on the C drive (C: users/ user name/desktop). Depending what you have on your desktop, that might explain it.

George

Good point George, I just cleaned up my desktop photo folders last week and put about 12GBs onto other disks. Got rid of another 10GBs cleaning the recycle bin.

I got curious reading your post and checked my:

Desktop folders-18.5GBs

Users-58GBs minus desktop=40GBs

Windows-23GBs

The interesting one is Windows10Upgrade-15.3GBs. This on I will look into.

I generally use about 150 to 180GBs of 475GBs available on my SSD, a good portion my current photo work. I have about 7 1/2TBs of storage in my PC with about 1TB free on several HDDs. Lots of pictures:-)

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow