A fistful of 58 f/1.4 lenses (a tale of AF tuning)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phototrope Contributing Member • Posts: 669
A fistful of 58 f/1.4 lenses (a tale of AF tuning)

I was in the market for a new 58mm f/1.4 lens, since my old one recently came to an untimely end on the hard floor of a studio. It must have been very floor as the front element shattered in a way I have never seen before. The model who accidentally knocked it over was mortified, but was very relieved to hear it was covered by insurance.

So anyway, I ordered a new 58/1.4 from amazon.co.uk and it arrived in a gold Nikon box that was clearly not brand new and had been opened at least a few times. The lens was obviously not new stock but I had no way of knowing how old it was. This lens needed an AF tune of +17 at f/1.4 focusing at 3 metres distance. This is not within my acceptable tolerance and I don't like paying full whack for used goods, so I promptly returned it.

I then ordered another 58/1.4 from Wex Photographic. A bit more expensive than Amazon and I had to wait for them to get the lens in stock. The lens arrived today in a brand spanking new gold box. And here's the punchline: to my delight, this 58/1.4 requires zero AF tuning on both my D850 bodies. I didn't think such a thing was possible with this lens, but apparently now it is.

Draw from this little tale what conclusion you will. My original 58/1.4, which I bought in late 2013, had needed an AF tuning of +8 or +9, Personally, I like to think that Nikon is improving the AF tuning on their lenses. Or maybe they are finally optimising their f/1.4 lenses at f/1.4. I don't know. In any case, I'm happy.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow