A fistful of 58 f/1.4 lenses (a tale of AF tuning)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phototrope Contributing Member • Posts: 669
A fistful of 58 f/1.4 lenses (a tale of AF tuning)

I was in the market for a new 58mm f/1.4 lens, since my old one recently came to an untimely end on the hard floor of a studio. It must have been very floor as the front element shattered in a way I have never seen before. The model who accidentally knocked it over was mortified, but was very relieved to hear it was covered by insurance.

So anyway, I ordered a new 58/1.4 from amazon.co.uk and it arrived in a gold Nikon box that was clearly not brand new and had been opened at least a few times. The lens was obviously not new stock but I had no way of knowing how old it was. This lens needed an AF tune of +17 at f/1.4 focusing at 3 metres distance. This is not within my acceptable tolerance and I don't like paying full whack for used goods, so I promptly returned it.

I then ordered another 58/1.4 from Wex Photographic. A bit more expensive than Amazon and I had to wait for them to get the lens in stock. The lens arrived today in a brand spanking new gold box. And here's the punchline: to my delight, this 58/1.4 requires zero AF tuning on both my D850 bodies. I didn't think such a thing was possible with this lens, but apparently now it is.

Draw from this little tale what conclusion you will. My original 58/1.4, which I bought in late 2013, had needed an AF tuning of +8 or +9, Personally, I like to think that Nikon is improving the AF tuning on their lenses. Or maybe they are finally optimising their f/1.4 lenses at f/1.4. I don't know. In any case, I'm happy.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
OCD
OCD
OCD
OCD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow