Full frame drawbacks (vs RX10)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JayRayMe
JayRayMe Regular Member • Posts: 129
Full frame drawbacks (vs RX10)

Hi,

I got into photography pretty much a year ago now, with a RX10 mk3, and upgraded to a mk4 when it came out. I'm now pondering whether to go full frame or not at some point (maybe I read too many articles on the A7 III). I've got no experience at all with DSLRs so you'll have to indulge me if some of my questions or remarks sound stupid.

I think I've understood quite well the many advantages of the full frame but I'm wondering if the drawbacks won't make me stay with my RX10. I know quite a few of you went from DSLRs to the RX10 so I'm confident on your input.

Here are the ones I'm thinking about:

1) probably the big one: 600 mm- can you confirm a reasonable size/weight 600 mm just does not exist for FF? All the ones I've seen are the size of a baby. I don't have kids, don't want any  but what I do have is a 600mm on the RX10 and I love it! Subsequent question: 400 mm makes a big difference?

2) $$$ for lenses. My guess is I would probably need:
- something for everyday like the Sony FE 24-105mm. About a grand.
- a telephoto (see 1)): not sure. Looks like a couple of thousands.
- a wide angle (zoom?): I was thinking maybe something like a 14-18 or 14-24. Looks like another grand
... and then at some point I'm sure I'd want a macro lens, maybe some prime lenses and so on... but just the "starter kit" look like $4000 (plus of course a $2000 A7 III).
Am I right?

3) focus: I've read that with fast lenses focus can be much trickier than with my RX10 in terms of getting the focus right. The idea is get better pictures, if they're all out of focus it obviously defies the point: is that really a problem?

4) switching lenses: how much of a pain is it to keep the sensor clean? Is there a real risk of breaking stuff? (again: newbie alert)

5) another obvious one but I think I can live with it: weight and size of the "package". No question there, I know.

Now that I wrote all that I'm thinking that maybe the scope of my questions is a bit wide, sorry

Regards,

Jay

JayRayMe's gear list:JayRayMe's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +3 more
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ody
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow