Sharp lens ??

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 5,780
M6 sharpness tweaks + lens sharpness...

Chaihg wrote:

Hey all, I had the Samsung NX camera for years and loved the 60mm Macro lens for portraits and macro stuff.

Now I moved to EOS M6 and have used the 15-45 and 50mm F1.8 with an adapter. However, I find both of these lack the sharp focus my 7 year old samsung camera provided. What is the sharpest lens available for shooting people?. Since I have the adapter I wouldn't mind getting any EF lens too.

Thanks

I think I know what you're talking about here because I can remember downloading my first pictures from the EOS M6 and was wondering if there was a problem with my camera because the images seemed quite "unsharpened" and perhaps even slightly soft.
The EOSM cameras (including the M6) usually tend to ship with sharpness minimized.   It's not turned down all the way but it's reduced to a level closer to RAW.  The original M wasn't so bad.  But the M6 definitely required a tiny bit of tinkering before I was happy.  Sharpness wasn't bad but color was slightly cyan (blue) biased.  If you have the M6 you'll possibly need to make a couple of alterations with your custom settings for color and sharpness.  I have opted to only make subtle changes with mine but some of the presets such as Fine Detail (I think that's what it's called) are designed for photographing in museums ... so I used that as my template when adjusting color saturation and other parameters. The camera then uses this as a preset and (if you press the right buttons) you can save it as your custom setting.  If you're not sure, just try the Fine Detail setting and see if that makes a difference.  I also feel that the out-of-the-box M6 is slightly cooler in color cast than Canon normally produces with other cameras.  I know that Samsung artificially sharpen their images using in-camera software and they tend to ship their cameras with this preset on.  Hence their pictures will seem much sharper than those from an M6 straight out of the box.
The M6 has DPAF so the focus should be pretty accurate each time.  I rarely shoot in M or Av so I'm not usually altering the aperture to "force" a lens to take sharp shots. I have only purchased my EOSM cameras as a body-only and later bought three three lenses mentioned below.  As such I have not used the 15-45mm lens but I have hear some members here state that as a kit lens it was adequate but that it was not typically sharp enough for their expectation.  I can't comment on that because I have not use this lens other than to test it on a display camera at a dealer's display... and I have not downloaded samples to view.

EOSM + EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. Taken wide open at f/4 - my first shot with this lens.

The sharpest lenses for the EOSM are going to include the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens... which is  sharp wide open at f/4.... and certainly the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS Macro STM lens.  I had not heard that the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens was reputed to be incredibly sharp before seeing a mention of this in this thread, but it is certainly one of my favorite lenses on the EOSM camera because it functions well in low light and produces pleasing bokeh. But looking back over some of my pictures, I can see that it has produces exceptional detail in many shots, even with shallow DOF.  I've added two below that were taken in P-Mode so you can see how much unforced detail showed up in the resulting images.

EOSM6 + EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS Macro STM (+ CPL filter)

EOSM + EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS Macro STM lens (+ CPL Filter) 2x image vertical panorama.

EOSM + EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens (no filters used)

EOSM + EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens (CPL filter used)
EOSM6 + EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens (no filters, shot while crossing a road on foot).

EOSM6 + EF-M 22mm f/2 STM lens (no filters, taken while leaning over a balcony) .
The downside of the wonderfully sharp 11-22mm and 28mm Macro lenses is that whilst they perform admirably handheld in daylight, or on a tripod after sunset... they are not as practical as the 22mm f/2 lens is for handheld pictures in low light.  If I want to shoot hand-held without a flash, the 22mm f/2 lens is my go-to lens.  Occasionally I will mount a faster EF lens to the camera (f/1.2L and f/1.4L) via the adapter but this is rare these days.  The EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS Macro STM lens comes with a metal filter mount ring but it has (strangely) a plastic lens-mount on the rear of the lens.  It's a composite material that is resistant to damage... but it's the only lens of the three that does not have a metal mount.  The reason for this was so Canon could claim to have the lightest, smallest Macro lens in the world at the time of release.
I hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow