Bokeh problems w/ Nikon D850 & Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 E FL ED VR

Started Mar 2, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NewToNikonD850 Junior Member • Posts: 30
Bokeh problems w/ Nikon D850 & Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 E FL ED VR

I have a Nikon D850 and am spending LOTS of time learning how to use it. After much research, I decided to splurge on a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 E lens as a first lens for the camera. I definitely have to improve my photography skills, and I know this camera is very sensitive to detail, but I have noticed that the bokeh/background of some of my photos looks inexplicably weird and unpleasant. It looks as if there's motion blur in the background when I'm pretty confident motion wasn't a factor. I'm attaching a couple of pics in which, if you look at the background branches (photo 1) and background antlers (photo 2) you'll see a weird splitting effect. Can anyone tell me what's going on? I'm really hoping my technique is to blame. I'll be the first to admit this camera is currently way beyond my skill level. I'm hoping I'm the problem. Thank you for any help/advice you can provide

The branches in the background look split. There was no breeze when I took the photo.  Nikon D850 & 70-200mm f/2.8 E (200mm - ISO 280 - f/3.5 - 1/1600 )

The antlers on the reindeer in the background look split like the branches in the photo above. I'm not sure what's going on.  Nikon D850 & 70-200mm f/2.8 E (100mm - ISO 180 - f/4.5 - 1/640)

Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow