Invest in a dying system, or prepare to migrate to m43.

Started Mar 1, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Elana-chan Junior Member • Posts: 28
Invest in a dying system, or prepare to migrate to m43.

Hey there, I've been happily using my V3, right up until I got the news that the 1 system is all but officially killed off sans Nikon making an official announcement. I am trying to figure out where to put my future investments into small form factor cameras, either add what I can to my kit as far as what lenses I can still get my hands on, or hold off on getting any more glass and prepare to switch to the closest comparable platform to have more longevity.

Right now all I have is the 10-30 kit lens and a 18.5 prime, plus the FT-1 adapter. If I switch to micro 4/3, I will be seeking to get as close as I can to the kind of shooting experience I've gotten out of my V3, which from the offerings I've seen would mean something like panasonic's GX9 or the olympus E-M10 3. In both cases I was specifically looking at the smallest and most comparable body I could find that rivaled my little V3 in terms of functionality and performance.

From what people have told me, I could probably stick with the V3 for about five years before the industry standard surpasses what is considered to be "acceptable" in terms of sensor resolution, so I would probably re-evaluate the m43 bodies at that time. But if what I have been told is true, then there would be little point to expanding my CX collection when I already know the entire system's days are (indeterminately) numbered.

I will still be using Nikon cameras for the foreseeable future within their larger DSLR offerings, but I've found having the smaller camera invaluable in situations where the bulk of the larger camera becomes an issue due to working space or other reasons. If I did switch platforms, I would be looking for the m43 equivalent of the FT-1 as part of looking for a successor to my V3.

Elana-chan's gear list:Elana-chan's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
Nikon 1 V3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow