Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Re: Best pano setup for travel?
  • wco81 wrote:

kli wrote:

wco81 wrote:

How about those pano tripod heads?

are they better at securing a full frame DSLR vertically than standard ball heads that typically come with "travel tripods"?

They are, but a simple L-plate would be sturdier for this.

So now I'm looking for an L-plate but looks like most folks here are going with the RRS or Kirk.

Hmm, they are about half the price of my travel carbon fiber tripod and ball head combo.

I really wonder if they'd hold up my D750 and a longer lens vertically.

I'm going to Sicily in May and there are old Greek temples lit up at night but the archeological park closes before sunset, though I think they light the structures even if a couple of hours after the park closes.

So the only way to shoot them is from distance and there may be some vantage points which may be panoramic, though some distance away.

I guess I'll try to shoot some overlapping vertical shots, though I've heard the area can be windy.

Have people had good results mounting FX cameras and lenses vertically on travel tripods?

I have used off brand L brackets for my Sony’s and they have worked great.   I don’t see the added value in the RRS for this item.

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
kli
kli
kli
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow