New Samsung Rumors

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
wpstl Senior Member • Posts: 1,059
Re: "If it can happen, it will happen."

mokara wrote:

wpstl wrote:

mokara wrote:

headroom wrote:

Maybe a just proof of concept, The Sensor coold wake NIKON up to get rid of SONY Sensors?

If the sensor includes DPAF then it is being made for Canon, no one else.

Saying it doesn't make it so. Samsung has used DPAF on their phones since the S7. The S7 has a Sony sensor which probably means Sony and Canon made some sort of deal for the technology...at least for phone sensors. Whether that was licensing for cash or trade I do not know. But what you said is simply not accurate...unless you mean for ILCs, then you might be right, I don't know.

-- hide signature --

"Sometimes I like to throw a grenade and run away."

You don't understand how high tech industry works.

Some of the sensors on the S7 were manufactured by Sony, some where made by Samsung themselves. All were the same design, a design developed by Samsung R&D. The manufacturing of the sensors was partially contracted out since they lacked capacity to do it all themselves. The fact that Sony manufactured some of them means nothing, it would have been done under license and Samsung holding that license would allow them to have it manufactured where they saw fit through sublicense. They happen to be using Sony as a contractor to do some of the work since Sony has factory capacity to do this. This is done all the time in industry. If it didn't work that way no one would be able to sell anything unless they made all the components themselves, and very few, if any, companies making high tech devices can do that.

There is no secret about DPAF, it is all disclosed in Canon's patents, including how to do it. You have to make those public disclosures by law in order to get awarded a patent in the first place. What you can't do is manufacture and sell devices using that patent without a license, which Samsung clearly has. They call it "PDAF", and their marketing material makes it clear that it works exactly the same way as Canon's PDAF, which means it is the same as Canon's PDAF. Since Canon has not sued them yet, Samsung has to be holding a license to use the technology in their products. If there was no license it would be an open and shut infringement violation and Samsung would lose.

Actually, I don’t care about any of that except the important part which I already stated: someone has a license from Canon.

-- hide signature --

"Sometimes I like to throw a grenade and run away."

wpstl's gear list:wpstl's gear list
Samsung NX1 Sony Alpha a7R II Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow