Interesting Comparison Film v Digital

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,352
Don't use film

I would prefer people don't explore or use film, and even less so, do their own film developing and do their own (wet) darkroom printing. Please don' try this at home - you'll be frustrated and miserable, trust me.

Why? I enjoy that the analog craft remain a exclusive skill and niche for the few of us that remain and have mastered it over many decades (myself approaching near 50 years in the darkroom). There are real reasons why we still do it – even for us old "gray beards" began using high-end DSLRs in the '90's, long before quite a few here were born or members of DPR. If you want to do a REAL comparison, then compare digital print output to analog (wet darkroom) final prints. Any other comparison is only comparing an all-digital train to a partial (hybrid) digital train. I love my Epson 7880 prints from my D800, but put my wet fiber darkroom prints, done right, compared side-by-side? Now THAT’s a comparison!

Of course digital is better in a very long list of respects - no one argues the wonders and incredible flexibility and speed of digital - something I discovered with my first digital camera and H/P inkjet printer back in the 90's that caused me to pack away my wet darkroom gear and film cameras for over a decade, but if you really want to know why a few of us added film, film processing, and wet silver B&W and RA4 wet darkroom printing back into our active repertoire, then you'll just have to do it yourself - the whole process, to find out, and master the whole process like we have. I don't recommend it for all but the hardiest and most adventurous.

Don't do film and darkroom - it sucks, and you'll be miserable.

MFL

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow