Tracker for Hiking

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
a7sastro Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: Tracker for Hiking

Dustonian wrote:

Hello, I'm trying to decide which star tracker to get for hiking. Currently I'm debating between the ioptron Skytracker Pro and the Skyguider Pro. My hiking kit consists of the Sony a6300, Rokinon 12mm f/2, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, and Sigma 60mm f/2.8 (very lightweight compared to my FF kit). That being said, I do have a FF DSLR that I'd like to use with the tracker (baring long hikes of course). I have a Canon 6D (full spectrum), Visible + H-Alpha lens filter, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f.2.8, and Canon 50mm f/1.4. I also have several ball heads I can use.

I'd imagine the Skytracker Pro will get along quite well with the small Sony kit without requiring a heavy counterweight (good news for hiking). However, will I need a counterweight for the Canon 6D and wide angle lenses? I don't mind using a CW for my Canon gear since it would be for "drive up spots."

Is the Skytracker Pro that much smaller and lighter than the Skyguider Pro?

Thanks for you help!

May not fit your bill, but here's something I accidentally discovered:

In order to place as low as possible for higher angle off my deck:

I took my smaller Celestron SE alt/az mount (can run off batteries) off the tripod all together and with a little DIY and clamps and bolts, I was able to attach it to a plastic milkcrate. I now consider it a potential option for a hike, I'm sure I could rig a portable foundational frame, or a rigging with straps, etc. to attach to a rock or stump at the site, etc....

Yes alt/az is a different game, but it'll serve my purposes with lunar/solar/precision long focal length lapses, under 30 sec exposures with my a7s with higher ISOs.....

The trade off I get that I don't get with my EQ polarie, is the use of my 500mm f/4.5 lens or 200mm prime...Plus goto and precision guided aiming with a hand controller!!!

Also as far as counterweights:

consider a rigging that doesn't require you to bring a weight in your backpack. How about a bag you can fill with rocks/dirt/sand on site.....??

FWIW....

a7sastro's gear list:a7sastro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow