Trying to limit the length when video recording overseas

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
a7sastro Regular Member • Posts: 457
Re: Trying to limit the length when video recording overseas

Brisn5757 wrote:

I hope to go overseas to visit parts of England soon and want to record video as well as take photos. My concern is that I might take too much video and run out of SD cards as recording video can use a lot of memory. If I start recording the guide on a tour then that could use a lot of video.

Does anyone have a plan when going overseas such as recording a still scene for a set amount of time such as no more than 10 seconds or limiting video recording to x number of minutes per day?

I have an option on my camera called 'recording snap movies' which when used can limit a recording to a set number of seconds (2, 4, 6, 8 seconds) but there might be times when panning a scene that I want more than 8 seconds of recording.

Any advice would be welcome thanks.

Brian

Here's some random thoughts:
Remember video is just a recording of lots and lots of smaller res still images along with sound.
But all those images clutter up quickly. Don't waste space with unneeded redundancy.

If your storage space is a key,then:

• audio record device for wanted audio of tours, personal narration, etc. (audio=small storage thumbprint).
  • Take higher res still images for segments where you would only be capturing content that doesn't need video (ie scenery) [even high res still photos can have a lot smaller storage thumbprint that lots of redundant video content that is the same...

In post, one has the potential to create a better motion picture with:

• still images,
  • timelapse
  • and hyperlapse

which can often offer a considerable bit more flexibility than long cuts of video containing unnecessary still content.

Remember a larger resolution still can be panned and zoomed, even with better resolution than HD video...

• You can even green screen yourself or other trip goer's into the shots later, not as VFX, but combining an interview of them remembering the experience represented by the particular scenery....

Raw video does capture a sense of authenticity and realism, so you need to decide what content needs such, and then be aware to decide what needs constant video, what needs clips, what needs stills.....

If you want/desire to bring the most efficiency:
Decide ahead-of-time what is most important to you

• [story-board your trip].
    Plan your itinerary/look at it and order a system and plan.
    Ask yourself many questions ahead of time so you won't need to be distracted by trying to make decisions.
  • Don't forget what you just want to experience without worry about gear.
    Consider shots that can be taken/re-created by getting out early on your own or later, so you aren't rushed during some visits (ie visit location x, enjoy it, take it in, capture a few things, but if it is worth it just revisit it with a plan where you can just collect content on a mission that doesn't have to take time (speed planned scavenger hunt type of shoot)....

The greatest challenge of capturing content at a new location is trying to predict what situations will arise that will make good content. Do what you can to scout mentally.

This is a great skill built by experience and practice to be a better videographer. Consider practicing this part of the craft before your trip. Pick a local location and simulate a tourist experience. Learn the things you can when the time and content isn't important.

Creating rules and policies in your methods to save card space can work, just make sure they match the context.

a7sastro's gear list:a7sastro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow