The eternal question : XF14mm 2.8 or XF16mm 1.4 ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
denis-t
denis-t Forum Member • Posts: 50
The eternal question : XF14mm 2.8 or XF16mm 1.4 ?

Hi guys,

I will travel to Italy in may, and I'm looking for a nice wide lens for landscape shots. I already have the Samyang 12mm, so I don't want to go wider. But the Samyang is a bit too wide sometimes, and I don't use it that much because of that. So I'd like to get a good Fuji wide prime lens that would be nice for landscape and other situations as well (I do a lot of street photography).

What I like about the 16mm :

• WR 
  • F1.4 : can also be used for portraits, "macro" (kinda), better low light performances

What I like about the 14mm :

• the look of the shots in general. I love the angle of view of this lens. The 2mm make a real difference.

So I think I prefer the 14mm because of that focal length, BUT I like to shoot in the rain (for street photography) and the bokeh is so nice on the 16mm. And because of that, I can't decide which one I should get. And from what I saw, the 16 also delivers amazing pictures, don't get me wrong.

I feel like it would be logical to get the newer 16mm because it's WR, fast, it has an amazing IQ (probably the best you can get from Fuji). But every time I see a shot taken with the 14, I just love the look of it, while the 16 seems to have less character.

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

denis-t's gear list:denis-t's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS XF 90mm +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow