Switching from Nikon D7500 to Sony A6500 - which lenses to get

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
trenzterra Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Switching from Nikon D7500 to Sony A6500 - which lenses to get

Hi all,

Finally took the plunge and decided to go "all-in" on Sony APS-C, buying an A6500 to replace my A6000, which I bought a few months ago as a 'try-out'. The Sigma 16mm f/1.4 was the push factor for me.

Right now, I have the following E-mount lenses:

- Sigma 16mm f/1.4

- Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS

- Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6

On the other hand, on the Nikon side, I use the following lenses:

- Tokina 11-20 f/2.8

- Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4

- Nikon AF-P 70-300mm VR f/4.5-6.3

I am struggling to fill the UWA and telephoto void left behind by the Nikon. On the UWA end, it seems the only autofocus option available is the Sony 10-18mm, which is one stop slower than my Tokina and really expensive. On the other hand, most people seem to go for the much cheaper Rokinon 12mm f/2 instead. In my scenario, would it make more sense to adapt the Tokina 11-20 using a manual focus adaptor instead?

Next, telephoto. The 55-210mm seems to have mixed reviews and I would prefer something beyond 200mm. The FE 70-300mm, cost notwithstanding, seems like a good option, but is far too heavy for my liking. Is there something that strikes a balance between the two? Adapted lens maybe?

Thank you!

Nikon D7500 Sony a6000 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow