Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
marc petzold
OP marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,119
Re: Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

Jono Slack wrote:

Hi there Marc

Well, I do have the 18-56 with the CL . . And the 12-60 with the G9.

My trouble is to get my head around a definition of that “Leica Look”

What is certain is that Leica and Panasonic have done a great job with the new Mft

All the best

I do think, the "Poor Mans Leica" (Zoom) Lens is the Vario D Elmar, 14-50/3.8-5.6, which is a stop under the faster, 14-50/2.8-3.5 Elmarit Zoom lens (both are FourThirds, not MFT), and i currently own this mentioned Elmar, as well as the 14-150 PanaLeica Zoom Lens, also FourThirds.

It doesn't have a DoF Scale, it doesn't have a silent AF Drive (conventional AF DC Motor, which is somewhat noisy) and the opening aperture is only F3.8 - but reviews are saying, this Lens is already sharp wide-open, and a step better over the (really for it's price) good, well-known Pana 14-45/3.5-5.6 mFT Lens - which was the Kitlens of the Panasonic G1. Well, i got this 14-50 PanaLeica for a good price, and would try it out.

Someday, i would like to own at least the Leica X1, and/or the Leica X Vario. I do prefer simplicity, when it comes to create pictures - instead of using a pocket computer with lenses (Sony A7 series - /sarcasm)

Which leads me to my final question here - does the Vario D Elmar(it) 14-50 do show the same image quality in terms of rendering images, as the Leica 18-56, or Leica X Vario?

I mean, of course, the Sensor is mFT, not APS-C....no question, for which these Leica, or Panasonic Leica lenses  have had being created.

Good Light !

Marc

-- hide signature --

"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Nikon D7000 +70 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow