Sigma 105mm EX macro vs EX DG and Tamron 90mm

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MikeyBugs95
MikeyBugs95 Regular Member • Posts: 222
Sigma 105mm EX macro vs EX DG and Tamron 90mm

I'm looking at maybe buying a Sigma 105mm macro but I'm having trouble understanding the difference between these two lenses. I know that the EX DG model has different coatings for digital sensors and has 11 elements in 10 groups while the EX has 10/9 and lacks the newer coatings. But does the EX DG version have any significant performance advantages than the plain EX version? Will any differences be noticable?

On the topic of the Tamron, how does it compare? I like the longer stand-off distance of the Sigma and the better fit but the Tamron focuses faster and seems to have less veiling flare. Both lenses have similar sharpness and since I'll be using a K-70, vignetting and CA won't be too big of a factor (not that these lenses deliver much in the first place). I'm not sure which to go on and could honestly go either way. I personally like the surface finish of the Sigma but that doesn't definitively sway me.

MikeyBugs95's gear list:MikeyBugs95's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow