Mother's Return ...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Macromeds
Macromeds Veteran Member • Posts: 3,546
Mother's Return ...

First sighting this year was on the butterfly bush. She had tacked a few leaves together to form a shelter from which to survey.

I am always careful not to disturb these small creatures too much but she wasn’t concerned at all, shifting only slightly.

At some point she climbed onto the sunflower and pulled a few petals over her, to guard her from the world of birds and things.

Upside-down doesn’t seem to bother her, she is just as agile as long as her feet touch something solid and her web holds.

She has no interest in those tiny creatures, hardly worth the effort to capture it seems. Waiting for the prize, a honeybee perhaps.

* And again ...

Up close, without the personal … this spider doesn’t rationalise or emotionalise her situation. She is … the act of sitting.

Sitting in expectation, without a thought, as instinct informs her being something will come to this also active living flower.

Infinite variations in posture, in readiness for that something when it comes. An almost meditative occupation, why not … instinctively.

‘What’s that I see above me, come into my arms, let me show you the way of spider dear. A one way exercise, have no fear.’

Oops! No crack in this hard shelled ladybug, to slip in a pointed lesson in survival, not yours. And ladybug went on her way.

No mercy for the unwary though. She came for food for the hive and became food for the spider. Such is life to one, death to another.

And flies do join the banquet, never far from a feast. No more than providing for young yet … to be … you might think her a beast.

Being dead, no good for a bee. Or is death something else than a little body bent to spider queen. Coup de grâce complete.

Mark - http://beingmark.com/ - http://beingmark.com/macro-illustrated/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow