D850 Focus Shift Issues (with Sigma 150 mm f2.8 Macro)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photon Embargo Junior Member • Posts: 25
D850 Focus Shift Issues (with Sigma 150 mm f2.8 Macro)

Hi everyone, long-time lurker here.

I recently purchased a D850, one of the system assets that got me excited about the camera is the focus shift feature.

But for the life of me I cannot get focus shift to work with my Sigma 150 mm macro. Sometimes it turns the barrel, sometimes not at all - the net result is many if not all images being of identical focus when running focus shift. In comparison, my Nikkor 24 mm f1.8 works perfectly every time, turning the barrel properly resulting in focus shift images as expected.

I've checked all my focus settings (i.e autofocus on body and lens), I've turned lens OIS on and off, I've pushed the lens focus limiter into all positions (usually left in the open position), changed my metering types, and updated the firmware (and read through the manual carefully as well as perused Google). I've also checked the AF with both lenses and autofocus is working fine on both.

So, have I missed something obvious? If not, is this issue likely in the lens or the body? I know the 150 mm is pretty heavy and the barrel although not tight, is not easy like the 24 mm.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Should I try and update the lens firmware?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow