Does this seem like a reasonable move or will I regret it?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lsharvell New Member • Posts: 4
Does this seem like a reasonable move or will I regret it?

I am a rank amateur who does a lot of bird photography.  Currently I'm using a Canon 7D MkII with a 100-400 IS ii almost always with a 1.4 ef iii extender.

If I know that I'm going to shoot birds in flight I'll remove the extender, but a lot of times it is spur of the moment.

I know that more lens is always the better answer, but that it not really in the cards right now.  However I'am considering the purchase of a 5Div.

Biggest problems tend to be IQ at higher iso (not much choice about where/when the birds show up) and auto focus performance.  I find that I'm not happy with the IQ on the 7D when the iso starts to get above 1000 (which is often in practice).  And I constantly fight with the autofocus often resorting to hand focus (which leaves much to be desired with these 58 year old eyes!), or having to back the zoom off to get it to focus.  Even then the keep rate can be quite low.

So the question is should I expect to see significant improvements in this area with this sort of change?  Will I regret the loss of pixels on the subject given that I'm usually reach limited.  My ideal would be the 600 IS ii with 1.4 extender on a 5Div, but that is not realistically going to happen right now, so is a 5Div a step in the right direction?

I have read a lot, but most reads compare the 7Dii without extender to the 5Div with extender, but it seems to me like the difference might not be that big comparing both with extender.

Any thoughts and real world experience would be appreciated.

BTW, this is all of personal happiness, I just want to take pictures I'm happy with, I'm not under any false impressions that I'll make a living this way.

Thanks for your time!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow