D5600 -- keeping ISO down with popup flash

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 5,838
D5600 -- keeping ISO down with popup flash

Hi, hoping to get some help here for my wife's D5600, which she uses at a fairly simple level of control.

Shooting in P mode with Auto flash mode and ISO set to 100-Auto, I was really surprised to notice that in dim conditions, when the pop-up flash is turned on and used, the camera shoots at the same ISO as it would have with the flash off.

For instance, if the dim lighting dictated an ISO 10,000 exposure without flash, if we pop the flash up and shoot, it still uses ISO 10,000 when taking the flash photo.

This is not acceptable and very surprising. We are talking about fairly close subject matter within a few metres, where the flash has plenty of power and reach to expose the image at ISO 100.

One solution is to turn the ISO-A setting off and forcing the camera to (e.g.) ISO 100 to take flash photos, then turn ISO-A back on for non-flash photos. This requires delving into the menu tables, and is going to drive my wife batty, and she is quickly going to find she forgot to make the change of forgot to change it back. Which is then going to lead to frustration when reviewing ruined photos.

Can't the camera automatically drop the ISO when using the flash, since the high ISO is no longer needed when using the flash? It seems like common sense to me, for the camera to do this.

Thanks for any help.

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow