What a plonker I am

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
housesr
housesr Regular Member • Posts: 255
What a plonker I am

At great risk of exposing myself as a complete idiot, I want to share a true, albeit embarrassing little story with you.

A couple of nights ago, I was using my D7000 indoors with the pop-up flash and for some reason, the focus assist light wouldn't work, which made it difficult to focus.

I trouble-shot, menu-dived, manual-sifted, searched DPReview, googled etc... but nothing I tried helped.

Then after a couple of hours of practically pulling my hair out (something I can ill afford to do these days, lol), and consigning myself to the fact that my camera must be faulty, I finally realised what the problem was.

I discovered what the problem was when all of a sudden the pop-up started working and the only thing I'd changed was that I'd taken my flat cap off.

I 'd been wearing my flat cap and the peak of the cap was preventing the pop-up flash from fully extending when I had the camera to my eye, which in turn was stopping the focus assist light from engaging. I kept my cap off and hey presto, it was working every time.

First class plonker or what?

I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping that this has happened to other people so that I don't feel so isolated in my apparent stupidity.

Anyone brave enough?

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow