WWLD? What would Leica do?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
WWLD? What would Leica do?

I recently purchased a Leica Q, after pausing for a full year anticipating an updated Q2.  The failure of Q2 to materialize finally forced my hand.

Point 1:  Debates about long waits between updates occur for other makers besides Pentax. Leica Q users, I can tell you (having stepped into that world), are now just hoping for a new firmware update, much less a fully updated camera.

Point 2:  The analogy to Pentax K-1 here is striking.  The K-1 model update has taken the form of a new K-1 MkII, but with the unexpected twist of an offer to retrofit existing K-1s to the new configuration. With the much more expensive Leica Q, it is a fair question to ask whether Leica, if it updates the Q, will offer the firmware bits (at least) as a version 3 firmware for existing Q1’s.  There are plenty of things to fix about the Q’s user interface; as with Pentax, users have offered many good suggestions. Rumor has it that Leica is developing a new firmware update for the Q — no new model Q2 seems on the horizon.  Exactly as with Pentax, however, potential buyers fall into a wait and see loop

But with Pentax now having put on the table the kind of retrofit offer they are making with K-1, buyers of the very expensive (>4K) Leica Q are in a good position to ask that any firmware improvements be simultaneously issued for existing Q’s.

Cumulative point: The offer of the K-1 Mk-II retrofit is nothing if not fair, especially to recent K-1 buyers. It’s a challenge to the industry. Born of economic necessity? Straightforward fairness to users? Indicative that K-1 is a hard act to top with anything fully new?  Hard to say. But it suggests to me that the question for other brands is not what Leica or any other would do, but WWPD.

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow