K-1 on a cloudy day with the FA 31mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,039
K-1 on a cloudy day with the FA 31mm

The day was cold, a bit windy, but there were beautiful white clouds in front of  an extremely blue sky.  I could see the mountain and the clouds out my study window & decided this would be a good time to use the FA 31mm on the K-1.

I never saw the sun and so thought it safe to photograph as much of the sky as I liked, but some of the clouds were very bright and later in Lightroom I could see the occasional red-white-and blue artifact or the flare circle.  I wonder if anyone else has complained about the FA 31's built-in hood.  I think that if it completely surrounded the objective lens, these artifacts could be avoided.  As it is there is a leaf top and bottom whereas both sides have no protection.

But that was my only complaint.  The majority of the shots seemed flawless.  Of course since I was concerned about clouds and sky, the ground below was a bit too dark.  I lightened it as much as possible with Lightroom's "Shadow" feature.  While I haven't managed ever to get the sky and the ground below with equal naturalness with any lens, I think the FA 31 mm is about as good as I've ever gotten. Then too it nailed the sky in shot after shot better than any lens I've ever tried that with.  Inevitably some of the clouds would seemed washed out, but not today with the FA 31.

We hiked through Troll territory this morning. Some Trolls have abandoned their tents and trash, but new Trolls have appeared.  One of them came out from behind his tent and asked if I was taking photographs for a newspaper.  I guess he thought his Troll village was newsworthy.  I told him I wasn't.  He seemed disappointed.  I didn't have enough street-photographer gall to take a photograph of him, but took a photo of his tent after he had disappeared inside of it.

I took a bunch of challenging photos to look at later in Lightroom.  The FA 31 produced extremely good detail.  All of the little tiny branches could be seen in perfect detail.  I noticed no vignetting or corner distortion.

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-600 Olympus E-5 +71 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow