Affinity Photo's Raw Processing

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Chaplain Mark
OP Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 3,689
Re: Affinity Photo's Raw Processing

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

I like it very much as an editor.

But it's not my normal workflow for raw developing. It can work directly with raw files but it does a poor job of development-specific functions such as shadows.

Here is one example. The photo is deliberately dark because it's the -2 exposure from a set of bracketed shots. I've downsized these for fast uploading. These have been tested these by attempting to lighten and reveal details from the shaded portion of the bluff.

The original:

Here is the result of my standard RAW program, the nearly-vintage Capture NX-2:

Here is DxO Optics Pro 9, which I don't often use.

And here is Affinity. Not a bad job with the shaded bluff, but look at the trees!

Hmmmm.......

The trees look like splashes of pea soup.

On second thought, Bob, methinks a workaround in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona would be to apply an overlay to lift the shadows of the bluffs separately from the tree shadows.

There's also the option of adjusting the overlay's opacity....

One could therefore selectively apply the shadows and highlights adjustment to individual areas of the image to hopefully avoid turning the trees into pea soup...!!

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow