Best beginner camera for night time cityscapes

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,433
Re: Best beginner camera for night time cityscapes

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Michael1000 wrote:

I would get the Nikon D3400 with kit lens brand new at $499. It's a no brainer. APS-C sensor so pretty good in low light. Kit lens is better than average for a kit lens, and it has vibration reduction, so can be hand held with longer night exposures. Sensor ranks very high by DXOMark and Photostophotons.net.

It is a "no brainer" because it is a "stupid" camera. No options/features what-so-ever compared to a ML like FZ-1000.

You are gonna say $500 is better spent on a 27-82mm-EFL @ f/3.5-5.6 compared to 25-400-EFL @ f/2.8-4 ???

A camera that does not even have auto-bracketing, or HDR, (nor Multiple-Exposure, Time-Lapse, PANORAMIC, HandHeld NIGHT-shot, 4K-video, etc. ???

Not to mention the ability to SUN-light fill-flash to 17+' and "zebras" to optimize exposure via ETTR ??? (and instant IMAGE-REVIEW after exposure)

Nor FULLY-articulated LCD and 5-axis Image-Stabilization ???

I am sorry, you could not GIVE me a D3xxx, (or any dSLR for that matter after I have seen/enjoyed the additional options & features of ML that are NOT POSSIBLE on dSLR because of their "mirror" limitations).

I'm sorry.  I was responding the original poster and his/her needs, not yours.  If you want something different go for it.  The OP said he/she's primary goal is night shots, and a budget of $500.  You go with the biggest sensor if you want the lowest noise.  So far I am the only person to meet the budget goal of $500.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow