Camera longevity long will they last?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
Ralph McKenzie Senior Member • Posts: 2,027
Camera longevity long will they last?

Thats a question I will be exploring in more detail for my blog but for now I'm interested in what others consider camera longevity.

For me I think about the cameras I started with, my first serious camera being a Practika L2 and later the Pentax k1000. Bought because it meant I could have a light meter in the viewfinder and because owning a Pentax was cool

The other important aspect of this being the in the 1970's we tended to buy products that would last a lifetime ( 20 years or more ). In production for 20+ years the k1000 certainly proved that good products dont need to be phased out after a year or two.

This camera in its day wasn't all that cheap even as an entry level model and I bought mine with the intention of keeping it for several years. I sold my k1000 in 2015 and it still took perfectly good photos, and now I think that it was a mistake to get rid of it. You have to love hindsight.

The point here is that I really do want to stay with a brand such as Fuji, for me I feel they have what I want, but it is an expensive exercise to invest in a new camera and I have to wonder how it will hold up to the passage of time. For example will an XT2 last and perform as flawlessly as my aged Pentax for a long period of time ( say 15-20) or will planned obsolescence be a major factor.

Why should we as consumers not expect to be able to use an expensive piece of hardware for a good many years before considering a replacement. Why should I as a consumer shell out $1000 - 5000 for a new body after the warranty period is over because we are concerned that the product is now nearing its end of life period.

What do you as a consumer want and expect out of your cameras' life expectancy?

Is it perhaps that we have gotten too used to newer models coming to market and are we really that desperate for the next latest and greatest gizmo or gimmick.

I'm interested to see what folks think about this subject.
Fuji HS20EXR,S5700
Canon 1000D, EF-s 18 - 55 mm & EF 70 -300 mm

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Canon EOS 1000D
Canon EOS 1000D (EOS Rebel XS / Kiss F Digital)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow