My CPA called - I just ordered the GM 70-200 (and basketball photos)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,819
My CPA called - I just ordered the GM 70-200 (and basketball photos)

From my other posts it was obvious I wanted to get the GM 70-200 but I was having a hard time justifying the purchase. My Sony FE G 70-200 probably could have done the job - here is gallery of a basketball game I shot with my new a7riii and G 70-200 4.0 (some shots, and all the wide shots were with the 24-105 Sony) -

http://garystepic.zenfolio.com/p1003793312

I had been using my Canon 80D with the 70-200 2.8 and the a6300 with the 16-70 for wide shots. I figured higher ISO shots with the a7r3 would look as good as the lower ISO shots of the 80D and a6300 and they actually were much better.  My goal was to be able to sell all my Canon gear. I knew down the road I would need a 2.8 70-200 if I wanted to shoot sports other than just games in our arena.

My plan was to sell all my Canon gear and then order the GM 70-200 but this morning my CPA called and told me I was getting a $3,000 refund (I was figuring on much less or even having to pay a small amount).  Within minutes of him hanging up I ordered my new lens. I will give it a good test at the MWC basketball tournament in Vegas the week after next. I will be really curious if it acquires focus faster than the G version.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +4 more
Canon EOS 80D Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow