Comparison between RX100iv, Pentax K30 and Olympus OMDEM5ii

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richteed New Member • Posts: 20
Comparison between RX100iv, Pentax K30 and Olympus OMDEM5ii

I've been increasingly impressed with the RX100iv since buying a few months ago - the quality of shots and creative flexibility.  I thought I'd compare it like-for-like with my Olympus OMD-EM5ii and Pentax K30.

To create a fairly level playing field, I used the Sony at it's widest angle (24mm equiv), the Pentax 18-135mm lens at 18mm (27mm equiv) and the Olympus 9-18mm at 10mm (20mm equiv.).  I used the base ISO for all shots and F6-8 aperture so it was all in focus and no risk of diffraction.  All images were captured as jpegs, uploaded to my phone and the same basic edits applied in Snapseed.

My conclusions - not much to separate them.  The Pentax DSLR has handled the mixed lighting better with AWB, but certainly isn't the sharpest photo.  The Olympus has a bit of speckle noise in the sky, but this was because I hadn't switched long-exposure noise reduction in-camera like I had in the Sony.  The Pentax seemed to handle the 30 second exposure with no speckling.

I would say that the RX100iv holds it's own with the other 2 cameras with more glass and bigger sensors.  I'd be interested on other's views on this.

Sony Rx100iv at 24mm equiv. F6.3 25 seconds ISO 80

Pentax K30 18-135mm at 18mm f8.0 30 seconds ISO 100

Olympus OMD EM5ii 9-18mm lens at 10mm F8.0 13 seconds ISO 200

richteed's gear list:richteed's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-30 Olympus E-M5 II +8 more
Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-30 Sony RX100 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow