Choosing lens(es) for new D600

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NotWilla New Member • Posts: 9
Choosing lens(es) for new D600

I recently upgraded from an entry-level Canon DSLR to a new Nikon D600. I'm sitting on the fence - and somewhat overwhelmed - by my lens options and wonder if you folks could give me some advice.

I plan to shoot:

• Interior "street" photography (I do short stories about people I meet, many of them in stores, working behind counters). For this I'm thinking something fairly wide - 16-24mm?, to tell a story of their surroundings.
  • Hiking with children and dogs. For this I need a bit of a zoom sometimes, wide for the surrounding landscape others. I can't imagine needing anything more than 120mm.
  • More interior portraits: Live music (in intimate venues). For this I know I need a fast lens. I love wide-angle shots I see of live performances, but understand I won't always be right on stage and will need a zoom.

My main concern is the level of sharpness. I want my images to be out-of-this-world crisp.

I was thinking the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR would do well for nearly everything, but if it's low light I'm concerned about, then maybe Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8?

Right now I'm using a borrowed Nikon 50mm f/1.4G and can't imagine going to an f/4. I like focusing on just one little pad on the paw of my sleeping dog's foot.

Oh, help.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow