Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro mount snapped off

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wouter64 New Member • Posts: 1
Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro mount snapped off

I bought my Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro lens end of last month and took it out for a first shoot last weekend. I like to take pictures of flowers and dragonflies. It is too early for dragonflies but some flowers are out. I carried it mounted on my Sony 7RII body in my back pack. I always put my rain coat folded up at the bottom of my backpack, so that this act as a pillow, just to make sure my camera is well protected.

I accidently dropped my backpack as it slipped of my shoulder when I bended over. It fell from a height of approximately 30 cm. I did not bother to look at my camera since if was just a minor fall and the rain coat is underneath. But when I took out my camera later, it turned out the lens had completely snapped off. Otherwise there is not a scratch on it, nor on the body.

It turns out that the metal mount is attached to the rest of the lens with 4 very tiny screws of about 2 mm length that are screwed in equally small pieces of plastic. It looks extremely fragile but I guess it is engineered to be sufficiently strong. But maybe there was a construction error in my lens or is the plastic of bad quality.

I hope I will have it replaced under guarantee but the first reaction of the man in my shop was that this is not covered by the guarantee. We'll see. It cost about 1000 Euro.

Has anyone else experienced this with this lens or another Sony lens?

Thanks for your reactions.

Wouter

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow