Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 or Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS for low light?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lightwriter Regular Member • Posts: 227
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 or Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS for low light?

I'm sorry for creating another topic about this subject, but I haven't found any direct comparison about this two specific lenses in this site; if there is, I therefore apologise.

I was thinking buying a lens for vacations, mostly at night, and social gatherings with family and friends - in bars, restaurants and at home.

I can buy an used Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS for 300 euros. However, my budget is tight, and I wonder if the equivalent focal lenght in my 700D wouldn't be a little restricting - 56mm (yesterday I went to the birthday lunch of my sister, and took with me a Canon A1 with a 50 mm 1.4 and I had to step back to include both my sister and my mother - my mother said if I stepped back a little more I would crash against the other people having lunch there - she was right ).

My second option would be the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8. I know it doesn't have IS ( I rarely make movies with the DSLR), and has one less stop. Nevertheless, it's equivalent focal lenght is 38,4mm ( a wide normal lens), which might be more usable in tight places. I can get this lens for 120 euros. Both lenses are without warranty.

I have no plans in the foreseeable future of upgrading to full-frame.

P.S.: I work with my father, and my salary isn't exactly high...I do have funds, but I noticed my father wasn't exactly pleased with the choice of the 35mm (He has no problems spending money related to work, though, - he thought the lens was for architecture - and I understand that, obviously), and my wife says we're not professional photographers, so I shouldn't be too worried about the quality of images; in fact, she is not displeased with what we get from the smartphones

This one was taken at ISO 6400, 28mm, f/4.2, 1/60 - typical night photo, 18-55 IS kit lens

ISO 6400, probably pushed 1 stop (don't have the EXIF...), 18-55 IS kit lens. I would want to avoid the blue tint that comes from pushing the blacks.

Another typical photo at night

This one is 6400 with +1,15 stop adjustments in RAW. Notice the blue tint again.

lightwriter's gear list:lightwriter's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM
Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cjb
cjb
cjb
cjb
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow