D7200 / 70-200 2.8 Handheld issues

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
mikeyw Contributing Member • Posts: 988
D7200 / 70-200 2.8 Handheld issues

I have a Tamron 70-200 lens that i love WHEN it delivers. Far too many of my results are soft or just completely out of focus. It's the non VC version and i'm wondering if i'm just asking too much to get sharp focussed results at full zoom without VC or a tripod.

I took some pics yesterday with good light but used some fill flash but most were on the soft side. Occasionally when focus nailed the results were good.

My technique is to position the single focus point on the front eye and keep the BBF depressed until the shutter is released. I'm using AF-C to allow for any movement from the model and possibly me. I realise many would opt for AF-S maybe that would improve keepers.

This was an example which is close but not sharp enough to be usable.

A crop reveals how soft it is even with a bit of sharpening applied to the raw

This was shot a F4 / 1/640 / 200mm / ISO500 with fill flash

Pulling back to 120mm allowed a faster shutter of 1/800 and delivered a result that i was happy with in terms of focus and sharpness.

Again the crop shows the story

I'd love to be able to get consistently;y good results with this lens but maybe without the VC version i'm always going to struggle ?

Any advice on technique / settings much appreciated.

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow