My favourite E-mount (aps-c) Combo : sonyA6000-Samyang 21mm1.4

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
ShanghaiDutch New Member • Posts: 1
My favourite E-mount (aps-c) Combo : sonyA6000-Samyang 21mm1.4

HI guys, i like a bit of photography for family, travel and work. I am an urban planner and do a lot of site visits around China where i live.

Five or six years ago I went over to e-mount apsc. I don't like zoom lenses so I only use primes. I have quite a few E-mount primes and they all shine in their specific domain. After playing around a lot with the a6500 the A6000 and the primes I found my favourite combo is the A6000 in combination with the Samyang 21mm 1.4.

The combination is light and compact, its relatively cheap, so no tears if its broken or stolen, and the photographic quality i can achieve with my medium skillset is very high.

The fact that the Samyang lense does not have AF makes me work harder to find right, focus, angle and lighting combination, which has made my photographic thinking stronger and the results better. I found the A6000/samyang 21mm1.4 combi to be very effective to carry around for doing streetscapes, landscapes and cityscapes and occasional shots of my pretty daughter.

Allthough the A6500 is a far superior optical instrument than the A6000 in the end the photographic quality is allmost identical. A downside is that the A6500 is far more heavy than the A6000. When I pair the A6500 with my Sigma 16mm1.4 the combo is allmost one kilogram and not compact at all.It  makes me feel like I am back in the old DSLR days, like my Old sony A300 combined with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

Anyways for those of you who want to have a go at the E mount apsc to make cityscape, streetscape and landscape stills I would wholeheartedly recommend to go for the A6000/samyang 21mm1.4 combo. If you have a medium photography skillset like me, spending more on gear will not improve the quality of your photographical output.

BTW, the combo of the A6000 and the Samyang 21mm1.4 will cost less then a single sony zeiss 24mm 1.8 that i also own and IMHO delivers less satisfying results then the Samyang 21mm1.4.

Have a nice day,

Regards from Shanghai.

ShanghaiDutch's gear list:ShanghaiDutch's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow