Costa Rica Gear Questions

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dboreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,214
Costa Rica Gear Questions

Visiting Costa Rica for the first time in a few weeks on family vacation. We will be in Guanacaste province staying on the coast with some day trips including Palo Verde National Park.

Photo opportunities look to include monkeys, birds, small frogs, insects. I also read that it can be almost dark in the forest so a macro ring light is useful.

All things being equal for that kind of subject I'd take my 6D, 24-70, 100-400, 100L macro and perhaps 70-200.

However, I also read that it is not recommended to leave valuables in hotel rooms in Costa Rica. I doubt the room safe will accommodate those lenses and I don't want to tote all that gear around everywhere I go in 90 degree heat.

So I figured I could take the M5 with 15-45, 50-200 : I can easily carry that kit around with me. However that's not a great macro setup and not exactly the best for birds either. For macro shots I could add the 100L with adapter. It might fit in a room safe.

Interested to hear any thoughts on how to approach this.

dboreham's gear list:dboreham's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS M +24 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow