Calibrating computer monitors?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
The Ryantist Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Re: Calibrating computer monitors?

hemp0matic wrote:

A couple of questions.

Why? Are computer monitors that far off? I have a Macbook Pro, and it sure looks correct to me.
What do you calibrate it TOO? And since your calibrating on your computer, how do you know when it's correct?
Other than pros that require perfection for magazines like National Geographic editing using 5K monitors, who needs to have their monitor calibrated?

I use an Xrite ColorMunki. They say when it's correct. It just gives me peace of mind since I tend to overanalyze things. After getting the calibrator, I don't notice a huge difference in the hues output by my monitor. But I do notice a huge difference (namely a reduction) in contrast and saturation. Most consumer monitors default to high contrast and vivid colors. You get used to that and then your prints come out flat looking. The calibration helps my prints come out a lot closer to what I see on the screen.

The Ryantist's gear list:The Ryantist's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow