Perfecting my lens kit. What would you add/drop/change?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JaviB Regular Member • Posts: 252
Perfecting my lens kit. What would you add/drop/change?

Hi,

I've been analyzing the idea of going FF but finally decided to stay in the APS-C world for cost, weight and convenience reasons and bought a a6500 recently.

Now I'm thinking of optimizing my lens kit.

I have:

Zooms:

- 16-70z f4

- SEL 55-210 f4.5-6.3

Primes:

- Samyang 12 f2.0

- Zeiss 24 f1.8

- FE 28 f2.0

-SEL 50 1.8 OSS

Possible points of improvement:

-Get rid of the FE28 or the Z24?

Probably it makes no sense to have both. I was keeping the FE28 just in case I moved to FF. But now that I'm not going that way, Maybe I should sell it. I don't use it much, since the z24 is more versatile and I use it much more. But the truth is that the FE28 always delivers and for people photography is better because it does not distort perspective. I like that it focuses better than the z24 (quicker and with no noise at all) and it is even sharper. But actually I don't see myself selling the z24. It is my most used lens, and it has something addictive. Is it the sharpest lens? No. Wide open it is not super sharp. But it is the lens that I enjoy the most.

-Then, on the wide angle side.

I have the Rokinon 12 and like it, but it is MF, so I don't use it much, just for pure landscape. The Sig 16 f1.4, not being that wide (12mm is too wide often) and with AF and 1.4 should be more versatile. And everybody is raving about it. I could sell the rokinon and for not much, buy the sigma. 16mm is a focal length I have covered with the 16-70z, though.

The rest is ok. The sel55-210 is the worst of my lenses, but I only have it because it was very cheap and is light/small. I don't see myself spending >1.000 on one of the good long zooms because I don't need it.

What do you think?

JaviB's gear list:JaviB's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow