a99i is persecuted by dust - does the mirror wear out?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson Regular Member • Posts: 310
a99i is persecuted by dust - does the mirror wear out?

Hi!

My a99i is being persecuted by dust. I had the mirror professionally cleaned by Sony service in Beijing a month ago, but now some specks are back at the top of the frame in the EVF. I can live with it at f8, unacceptable at f16. I've tried sensor cleaning in the camera but no success.

Should I replace the mirror? It's only $100 or so. Does the mirror become a dust magnet after some time due too micro scratches or static build up? I can of course have it cleaned again but if this will be a recurring problem I'd rather have it replaced at once.

Or is the dust on the sensor? When panning across the sky, the specks don't move, they do become much more visible when stopping down using the button to the right of the mount. I've tried to look at the mirror in reflected light but I simply cannon see the dust.

An interim solution will be to wash the pictures in DxO, which has a rather good dust removal tool.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +14 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow