Discovered a trick to prevent sensor dust when changing lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
a7sastro Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: Discovered a trick to prevent sensor dust when changing lenses

rhy206 wrote:

Today was exciting for me because I just received the A7R III. It is a big step up as I just upgraded from a Canon, an APSC camera.

As soon as I had the camera unboxed, I wanted to take a good look at the 35mm sensor. After the body cap was removed, i only saw mechanical shutter, the sensor was behind that. I was not expecting this, but on the flip side, I thought this was a A7R III's new feature to prevent shutter from being exposed. However, after the camera was turned on the first time, the mechanical shutter is no longer is the down position when switching lenses.

Is there a way to get this back.... I would love this feature. Am I missing anything here?

This has been covered before recently. Let me add my initial thought that was mentioned by others as well.

Having taken a number of cameras apart:

the last thing you want is the fragile blades of the shutter extended and exposed.

It's function is essential to the camera, and the slightest ding and the camera sensing something off will turn the camera into a paperweight.

Just get a bulb dust blower,

and for fun put some double stick tape on the inside of the body cap (credit Phillip Bloom). Make sure you change the tape out before it gets too old and becomes its own source of particulate debris.

Also (with bulb) blow the dust out of your lenses before you try to attach them.

Store your camera facing down with the body cap on. This discipline will cause all dust to drop and stick to the tape.

Enjoy the RIII!

a7sastro's gear list:a7sastro's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow