a77II - lost AF and aperture on SSM, SAM lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tim Crammond Contributing Member • Posts: 811
a77II - lost AF and aperture on SSM, SAM lenses

Well this was a fun day.  I just mailed off my LX100 which I'd sold to raise money, and literally 15 minutes later took out my a77II and, this happened:

I'd attached my Sony 70-300 G SSM, and as soon as I turned on the camera found it was 'stuck' in MF mode. Couldn't get AF to work in any mode. Also, not transmitting aperture information at all, so I assume stuck wide open.

I had my Minolta 28-135 with me in the car, so I attached that, and it worked perfectly normally.

Drove home, put the 70-300 G on my a57, and no problems. On a hunch, put the Sony 16-50 SSM on the a77II, and same story as the other SSM lens - no AF, and no aperture info or control.

It turned out none of my Sony SSM or SAM lenses (or my Sigma 10-20) work now on the a77II, but all my old Minoltas work fine.  Well... nearly. When I put the 28-85 on, the first time, it had the same problem as the Sony's, but i reattached it, and it was fine. Unfortunately no amount of second third or fourth tries fixed the problem with the Sony lenses.

Though I haven't tried every single a-mount lens, the only ones which have worked so far are all 5 contact point lenses.

I bought the camera used, in immaculate condition, about 5 months ago from a guy who had obviously treated it with kid gloves, as have I. No shocks, humidity, unusual temperatures.  I'm afraid this is going to prove to be an expensive camera problem, but is there something in the menus which I may not have thought of? Anyone had this problem?  A reset?

Thanks

Tim

Panasonic LX100 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow