Bit trouble in little china ! (ideas on what it could be?)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 5,734
Bit trouble in little china ! (ideas on what it could be?)

Literally, since Yongnuo is a Chinese brand. Just bought the Yongnuo 100mm f2 for portraits and the aperture seems to be stuck at f2. I have moved the aperture lever on the back of the lens and it slides seemingly with no issue. I have also tried the lens on both Nikon bodies i own and both showed the same behavior. Lens shoots, focuses, meters, and otherwise performs well, it just won't shoot stopped down.

It's always at f2 regardless what a adjust the dial to. I have also used my other three lenses on both bodies and they work as expected when stopping down. I would assume it's a faulty lens but it could be something else. Has anybody else used this lens on a D700 or D7000? It's actually not a big deal as i bought it strictly for portraits and will likely use it wide open for 98% of my shots, if im going to need more DOF i also have a 100mm f3.5.

So im not sure it isn't a FW issue with older Nikon bodies. I really like the lens, it's fast, has great bokeh, and was only $160, so im debating if it's worth the bother to exchange when i don't know if a new lens will do the same. Anybody have a similar issue, or suggestions? Is it possible the aperture blades are just sticking enough that either Nikon body isn't able to swing the aperture lever?

Moving the lever with my finger seems easy enough but im no camera expert when it comes to the build ect. Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

"The truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to it's power or live a lie." - Miyamoto Musashi ????

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow