The advantage of different sensor sizes (continue to "new ways to describe...)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TeddyD Regular Member • Posts: 275
The advantage of different sensor sizes (continue to "new ways to describe...)

Lee Jay wrote in other thread:

"Smaller formats never have an advantage over larger formats. The only time they do is not directly because of format but rather because of pixel size, namely if they have smaller pixels which can help if you are focal length or magnification (as in macro) limited.

The reason to use smaller formats is to get smaller systems via the use of smaller and effectively ("equivalently") slower lenses than are available for larger formats. For example, you can't really get lenses slower than f/5.6 for full-frame by you can get f/11 equivalent lenses for 4/3 which are smaller because of their shorter focal lengths and thus smaller apertures. Smaller formats are also often cheaper but, again, they don't have an image quality advantage.

-- hide signature --

hide signature --

Lee Jay"

As you say in the first part there's some advantage for smaller sensors. For that reason I like CX format is good for macro or MFT for long telephoto, however I have no such reason what you mention in the second part becouse I use the same FF lenses in all formats and becouse of that I can use shorter and faster lenses with small sensor compared to FF to get the same picture (as 200mm f/2.8 vs 400mm f/5.6) which in daylight handheld shooting is not a brainer IMHO (reminder for myself "must buy that MFT body" )

It also depends of the subject. If it's a single "simple" object I have no advantage of more than 20Mp but when more detail is desireable or I'm shooting in low light FF with more pixels wins.

Teddy

TeddyD's gear list:TeddyD's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a6300 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
BJL
BJL
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow